Other important dates in Har Sinai Congregation history:

1873
A new charter was granted and the name changed from Har Sinai Verein to Har Sinai Congregation. A church on Lexington Street was acquired by the Congregation and it was converted to a synagogue.

1878
Har Sinai's fifth rabbi, Samuel Sale, is the first American-born rabbi at Har Sinai Congregation.

1885
Har Sinai's membership in the Union of American Hebrew Congregations begins.

1894
The Congregation moves to the Bolton Street temple.

1898 - 1920
Dr. Charles A. Rubenstein serves as rabbi and helps to organize important Congregational affiliates, such as Brotherhood and Sisterhood.

1923 - 1941
Edward L. Israel serves as rabbi, a period that sees many innovations and growth at Har Sinai Congregation.

1937
The leadership of Har Sinai Congregation purchased a 17-acre property at 6300 Park Heights Avenue in a northwestern suburban area that was destined to become the center of Jewish life in metropolitan Baltimore. The property originally belonged to the Maryland Country Club. The country club was transformed into a religious center and became the first suburban Reform school in Baltimore. The overall cost of the property and the alterations was $120,000. The new religious center was dedicated on September 18, 1938.

Between the years of the Second World War and the l25th anniversary celebration, the most important Congregational venture was the building of a new temple . By the end of the Second World War more than 80% of our membership and even a greater percentage of our religious school children lived in the outlying areas of Baltimore city and county.

On the occasion of his tenth anniversary as rabbi of the Congregation, Rabbi Abraham Shusterman appealed for the establishment of a building fund. After months of preparation, the campaign was launched in 1953 with a goal of raising $1 million. A special committee was appointed to study synagogue structures, and it was decided that our new building would be patterned after Park Synagogue in Cleveland, Ohio. The scale model of the building was so impressive that it was exhibited in 1956 at the Baltimore Museum of Art.

Ground was broken on September 22, 1957. It was an awe -inspiring sight to watch the building rise from the ground and even more inspiring to see the dome as it took shape. The dome on Park Heights Avenue became a symbol of its own time. The structure was a multi-purpose building, with a 600-seat sanctuary, 17 classrooms and a 400-seat auditorium. The sanctuary expanded to seat 2200 during the High Holy Days. Dominating the sanctuary were the unusual tablets designed by artist Ludwig Wolpert. The dome, along with the tablets above the Ark, unified the sanctuary and made it symbolic of the old and new Mount Sinai.

On May 3, 1959, the service of farewell to the Bolton Street temple took place and the Congregation moved to the 6300 Park Heights Avenue location that fall. The first service held in the new temple was performed on Shavuot, June 12, 1959 at which confirmation exercises were held. On September 11, 1959, the new temple was consecrated at a special service, followed on September 13 by a dedication banquet.

1968
Plans were approved for the construction of a new educational wing and administrative building. It was decided that the administrative building would be named for the Zamoiski family and the educational building for Mr. Robert Einstein, in recognition of their generous contributions to these projects. The new library, funded with a $50,000 gift from Brotherhood, was named the Abraham Shusterman Library and the adjoining Trustee Room was named for the late Rabbi Edward L. Israel. In 1971, the Judaica Shop was named in memory of Lillian Shusterman.

1981
Rabbi Floyd Herman was installed as the fourteenth senior Rabbi of the Congregation. Many new programs have been instituted during his time at Har Sinai Congregation, particularly in the areas of worship and study. Har Sinai Congregation, which had the reputation of being a Classical Reform Congregation, has transformed its worship experience more toward mainstream Reform. Rabbi Herman was a driving force in the building of the new temple on Walnut Avenue.

1988
Har Sinai Congregation began to look towards a future in Owings Mills. A satellite Hebrew School was opened in Owings Mills, and for a number of years, High Holy Day services were held in Glyndon. After careful study, the Long Range Planning Committee recommended that the future of the Congregation be in the Owings Mills area.

2002
Har Sinai Congregation's new 61,150 square foot building is completed at 2905 Walnut Avenue. After an emotional farewell service on June 25, High Holy Day services are held at the new synagogue. Dedication ceremonies were held October 18-20 to officially open the new building to the community.